One of the most frequented questions I have been asked is this:
“Where is the main producing area for bamboo in China?”
When I searched the keywords “The hometown of Bamboo” in Chinese on search engine Baidu(The world’s largest Chinese search engine), It shows that they are nearly 30 cities claimed that it is the city of bamboo.
Below is a list of “the hometown of bamboo” as I found:
- Anji County, Zhejiang Province
- Fujian Province Jianou City
- Lin’an City, Zhejiang Province
- Yong’an City, Fujian Province
- Taojiang County, Hunan Province
- Longyou County, Zhejiang Province
- Guangning County, Guangdong Province
- Jiangxi Province Yifeng County
- Deqing County, Zhejiang Province
- Chishui City, Guizhou Province
- Guangde County, Anhui Province
- Shaxian County, Fujian Province
- Shunchang County, Fujian Province
- Chongyi County, Jiangxi Province
- Fengxin County, Jiangxi Province
- Changning County, Sichuan Province
- Suining County, Hunan Province
- Chibi City, Hubei Province
- Xing’an County, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region
- Muchuan County, Sichuan Province
- Yuhang District of Zhejiang Province
- Huoshan County, Anhui Province
- Guangdong Province Huaiji County
- Huangshan District, Anhui Province
- Wuyishan City, Fujian Province
- Anhua County, Hunan Province
- Anfu County, Jiangxi Province
- Juxi County, Fujian Province
- Ningguo City, Anhui Province
- Taoyuan County, Hunan Province
Are all those cities produce bamboo products to worldwide?
Now, you the wise properly get the correct answer by yourself: “Of course not.”
I will tell you why later.
Now, Please check a table below:
Table. Bamboo stand resources in main producing provinces of China
Unit: million ha
|Province||Total area of bamboo||Area of Ph. pubescens||Area of other species|
So, should we source the bamboo products according the table above?
The answer is same “No!”
For present time, most of the exported bamboo products are produced in Fujian, Zhejiang, Guangdong provinces(Rank from high to low). Because these three provinces are the coastal provinces which have got the advantage on transportation to the nearest port.
That is why Sichuan couldn’t be on the list of producing and exporting bamboo products. Even it has got the richest bamboo resources, but it located in the western of China, the transportation cost is too high to make the quotation competitive to other places.
When you are unsure about if the city has mature industrial chain, you could always ask Yi Bamboo for a direct and professional answer.